MT. JOY


Hello again! I'm back with another album review. This time, rather than country; I will review an alternative album titled "Mt. Joy." 

I was first introduced to Mt. Joy through a friend on a long road trip. Later on after that, we saw them play at a music festival in Tennessee called Bonnaroo. I saw them again in Austin not too long ago. It wasn't until the second time I saw them, I became a real fan. They take some serious warming up to because both their lyrics and instrumentation are so very unique. Even within the off-center world of alternative music, Mt. Joy has found such a niche sound and brand. 

This 13 song album was released in 2018, and is their first full-length record. Obviously, this album was very important in building that brand I mentioned above. If I had to describe this band, I couldn't compare them to anyone else, I would have to try to put words to the poetic lines and beautiful instrumentation that just makes you feel something. My favorite music is the music that makes you feel something, whether it is sad or happy or whatever is beside the point. I want to feel emotion through music, and this band does that all too well. So, here I go. I will for the first time listen to this album all the way through and provide both a rating and short description for each song!

1: "I'm Your Wreck"

Lead guitar is prevalent in this song. The lyrics talk about how life is not always easy, and that sometimes your someones wreck instead of someones pride and joy. Rating: 7/10

2: "Dirty Love"

A rather dark song, over rather bright chords and instrumentation, this song talks about tainted love. Rating: 6/10

3: "Silver Lining"

A fan favorite, again with very serious meanings underneath great music. Basically, the lyrics say to live life to the fullest, without doing hard drugs. Rating: 9/10

4: Bigfoot

Literally about Bigfoot, figuratively about I'm not sure. Rating: 5/10

5: "Sheep"

After bigfoot, a silly song, this song brings it back in and talks about the political climate in America. Written about the 2015 riots in Baltimore, this song sounds like an outcry for peace. Rating: 7/10

6: "Julia"

About being in a diner, theres some story in this song. Hard to follow but easy to enjoy! Rating: 8/10

7: "Mt. Joy"

While listening, I feel the lyrics are talking about heaven in a way. "Way up over Mt. Joy, where everyone's free now" puts a smile on my face every time. Rating: 9/10

8: "Astrovan"

Keeping with the theological undertones that the prior song began, this song speaks about Jesus driving an astrovan. I love this. Rating: 9/10

9: "Cardinal"

A song about standing out from the crowd, and begging the question of who decides what we are supposed to be. Rating: 8/10

10: "Jenny Jenkins"

A fun song, with some deep meanings. Rating: 7/10

11: "Sado"

A short song with not many lyrics. Rating: 5/10

12: "St. George"

Slow, painful. Rating: 7/10

13: "Younger Days"

Guitar, piano, poem for lyrics. Rating: 10/10 


Overall Rating: 9/10



Comments