Flatland Cavalry


For this week, I'm back to country music! I began this blog with my favorite artist, Zach Bryan. I followed up with a few more favorites from different genres. After running out of genres to go to, this band is next on my list for country music. I began listening to them early on in high school. Because of this, I have a special connection and nostalgia around some of their songs. 

The album of theirs I chose to review this week is named "Humble Folks," an 11 song album released in April of 2016. It has a captivating blend of country, folk, and americana music. The lyrics explore the ups and downs (mostly downs) of life, love, and loss. I will give each song a listen, describe them briefly, and rate them out of 10. Then, give the album an overall rating. 


1: "One I Want"

A medium tempo, but upbeat song about loving someone. Fiddle is used quite a bit which I like. Rating: 8

2: "A Good Memory"

A song about an ex-girlfriend, who is now just a good memory. Rating: 6

3: "February Snow"

A sorrowful song, with sorrowful instrumentation about a breakup that left him in the February snow. Rating: 8

4: "Tall City Blues"

Upbeat instruments, with lyrics about an accounting job that is boring enough to give the narrator "Tall City Blues." Rating: 9

5: "Coyote"

The instrumentation in this one is rather raw, utilizing two instruments at a time mostly. Lyrics about a "Coyote" who helps people cross the border make for an interesting story. Rating: 8

6: "Devil off My Back"

A high energy song that like the past couple songs, stray away from love. This one focuses on overcoming inner demons. 

7: "Stompin' Grounds"

A happy, upbeat song about getting out of the office chair and back to your stompin grounds. Rating: 6

8: "Goodbye Kiss"

 A sad, slower song about a goodbye kiss. Rating: 7

9: "A Life Where We Work Out"

Another love song, about a happy ending. Rating: 8

10: "Traveler's Song"

An interesting song about the life of a traveler. Rating: 8

11: "Humble Folks"

An outro that finishes this album out perfectly. Rating: 9


Overall Rating: 7




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MT. JOY