KANYE WEST


I've hit a different genre every week thus far. This will not be the week I break the streak! The next logical step in my genre exploration is rap, obviously. The first rap album I could think of has less to do with the artist and more to do with my love for one of the songs on it. "Flashing Lights" by Kanye was a song that I sang in my organization's sing act, so I chose the album "Graduation" because of this. 

This is West's third studio album and was released in 2007. It showcased Kanye's innovative production style and catchy hooks more than any his previous work had. With guest appearances from artists like T-Pain, Lil Wayne, and Mos Def, this album helped solidify Kanye's place as a boundary-pushing musician. A common theme of the albums and artists I am choosing for these blogs is just that: boundary pushing. Here are the song reviews, and overall rating!

1: "Good Morning"
An upbeat and optimistic introduction to the album. Rating: 8/10

2: "Champion"
An energetic track featuring triumphant horns and confident lyrics. Rating: 7/10

3: "Stronger"
A smash hit built around a sample from Daft Punk's "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger." Rating: 7/10

4: "I Wonder" 
A contemplative song with a catchy chorus sampled from "My Song" by Labi Siffre. Rating: 9/10

5: "Good Life"
A feel-good anthem about enjoying the finer things in life. Rating: 6/10

6: "Can't Tell Me Nothing"
A defiant track about overcoming obstacles and naysayers. Rating: 8/10

7: "Barry Bonds" 
A braggadocious collaboration with Lil Wayne. Rating: 7/10

8: Decided to not include this one due to how controversial it is.

9: "Flashing Lights"
A moody and atmospheric song with haunting vocals from Dwele. Rating: 10/10

10: "Everything I Am"
A reflection on Kanye's public image and the challenges of fame.. Rating: 10/10

11: "The Glory"
A celebratory track about Kanye's success and impact. Rating: 7/10

12: "Homecoming"
A tribute to Kanye's hometown of Chicago featuring Coldplay's vocalist, Chris Martin. Rating: 9/10

13: "Big Brother"
A heartfelt letter to Jay-Z, who mentored Kanye early in his career. Rating: 6/10

Overall Rating: 9/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MT. JOY